Saturday, August 16, 2008

Computer Idol ~

Hey there, I've been reading a lot lately in The Heart Of Worship Files and my bible so I get them confused sometimes, but somewhere in one of them I read about idol worship. I don't worship idols. I worship God. I write worship and praise songs about God. I don't have a problem. Denial! I was convicted about how much time I spend on the computer. But it is not the time that is the problem. It is the compultion to go back to it again and again. When I am stressed I want to go on the computer. When I am bored, I go on the computer. When I what to connect with people, I go on the computer. I didn't realize it was taking up so much of my time. I finally decided to leave it in the other room last night and read instead.

Do you know how much peace I felt? There is peace when we slow our minds down and relax, reflect, renew our minds. I learned that God wants to be the one to run to when I am stressed. He wants me to sing to Him, talk to Him, read about Him. God wants to be the one to go to when I am bored. To learn about Him, to write and sing about Him. God wants me to go to Him when I want to connect with someone. He wants to talk to me, to listen to me, to embrace me.

This is such a hard lesson to learn because it takes discipline. I might be really good at going to Him one day, but the next day might be completely different. I am so thankful to be covered by God's grace everyday. I sure do need it.

This has been on my heart and I wanted to share it with you. I don't believe God is asking me to give up the computer. The computer is such an awesome tool and resource. But when it is the default button and God isn't then I need to reevaluate how much time I am giving to it and if it becoming an idol in my life.

So I better get off the computer now!!!!!! lol.

1 comment:

Andrea C. Parker said...

Lara,

So true! I think it is hard as a stay-at-home mom because the computer (more like the internet) is such a great way to connect with people when sometimes it's impossible to do so. My laptop crashed last week and I thought I would go crazy not being able to just be on it. It was a good lesson to realize how much time I spend on it as well.

Thanks for being REAL - REALITY is the best ministry we have for each other!