Monday, June 06, 2005

Belated Sunday ~

I so wanted to write again. It's been too long in my opinion. We decided to get dial-up, but are afraid now to use it in the evening in case it wakes Hannah up! Oh brother! So this morning I asked Brian if he would watch Hannah while I did my blog. I close the door thinking this would be a great time to formulate my thoughts about the past couple of days however, my wonderful little girl is outside the door crying. Where did my solace go? I'll have to be creative and find it another way.

Okay, she's calmed down a bit. I think maybe I can start to write again. Let's see... Honestly, I don't remember too much from Friday to Saturday, but Sunday was a great day. The message at church was probably one of my favorites that I have heard in a very long time. It talked about Isaiah 30:15, being quiet with the Lord, allowing him to show you who you are. Resting in the Lord and finding your strength.

Being quiet is a very scary thing for me. Either my mind is still racing with thoughts and prayers or I fall asleep! lol! During my time with God I am usually the one talking. Another thing that scares me is that I won't be productive. I'll have so many things on my list to get done that I will feel guilty sitting by myself for a long period of time just being quiet. I really want to try this though. I think what I'm going to do is when Hannah goes to bed, go find a quiet place to sit and listen for hmm... I'll try 10-15 mins. for starts. See what happens. The message really challenged me. I loved that.

Brian and I got a wonderful treat as well. We found a babysitter for Hannah and went out on an official date! We so wanted to see "Star Wars," but it was all sold out when we got there. Bummer!! I told myself that I wasn't going to be disappointed so we decided to go out to eat to a restaurant I had been eyeing for a while. It had great ambiance, the food was okay. I did like the chips and salsa though. We sat and talked for a long time, really enjoying each other's company once again. I don't know about Brian, but I needed so much to remember what it was like when it was just us. We decided that we needed to try to make the time to go out once a month together. Now that we have some great people to take care of Hannah I feel much more comfortable with that.

Well, I still haven't ventured out and tried any of those recipes for Hannah yet. Maybe next week. (can you tell I am a procrastinator?) I have been a bit more busy in the kitchen though. Since my pregnancy I've despised store bought bread. I can taste the sugar and the gluten and it makes me cringe. So now that I am feeling better, I've decided to make my own 100% whole wheat bread from scratch. It was soooooo yummy! Since I already was using my mixer and all of the ingredients I thought hmmm... why not make some homemade rolls too! They were super easy to make and taste just like what my grandma used to make. It was great. Made me reminisce of all the wonderful times I had at my grandparents house. Grandpa made homemade root beer (you can't make anymore), Grandma made kuchen, poppyseed bread, homemade bread, rolls, homemade soups, fresh fruits and veggies from their garden, and homemade ice cream. She was my role model for sure. She knew how to cook, clean, sew, knit, crochet, stitch, paint, play the piano, sing, I could go on and on and on. I really do miss her. She was the one who started me on garage saling too. he he.

Anyway, off on a bit of a tangent. Oh yeah, so I had some time to sit down Saturday and plan out the meals for the week. Went to the store and got everything I needed. (you must know that this is a HUGE learning experience for me, I never know what I am going to cook the next day our meals are pretty sad actually) Sunday I had a pot roast in the slow-cooker and we had a great lunch ready after church. 1 point for mommy! So we'll see how the rest of the week plays out. lol.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey lara
what a great time it is to have a date with your man. Your uncle darrell and I have always made that a priority and yes once a week for the last 21 years we've had our date nite. What to do when you have small ones? Well, so glad you've found a sitter but if that doesn't work, once Hannah goes to bed, make some floats (or something fun) so out on your deck and connect. Yes sometimes your man may say "I'm tired, I worked all day" but I've always said that time together, just the two of us, is important and creates a long lasting relationship. Now that one of my own daughters is married, uncle darrell and I still have tons to talk about because of our date nites I'm sure. Time goes so fast. Where does time go? Dean'a phoned today from Mexico and is having a great time. Sure miss her though. I mean for 19 years she's always been here and now? Gone with some guy! Haha I love the man she married but it is still not that easy. Danya is thinking about going to Bible school. Thank goodness it's here in Kelowna. Well that's all for now. Sure is easy to write once you get started. Maybe I should start my own Blog. We'll see.

Lara said...

Thanks Aunty Mel for the advice. You're right it doesn't even need to be going out somewhere and those rootbeer floats sound yummy. lol. I don't really know how you're feeling, but my parents got through it. A little sooner than i would have liked actually. lol. I am glad they both are having a good time in Mexico. I just love the memories Brian and I made in Hawaii. This is a great way to keep in touch, I think too. Let me know if you start your own. he he.